Mesa Union School District has served the children and families in this area since 1939, when Del Norte School District and Center School District merged to form one district. Eight acres were purchased for $500 per acre from Mrs. Phillips, and in 1939, Mesa Union School was built. The original school consisted of three buildings and the custodian’s home. Three teachers taught 68 students. As the number of students increased, the school facilities grew. In 1951, two new classrooms, a cafeteria, and office were added. In 1951, the first kindergarten class was started; two additional rooms were constructed in 1956. Six additional classrooms were added in 1964, followed by six more in 1968. With the advent of class size reduction, four new classrooms were added in 1997 and 1998.